Transition words are used for joining two sentences or even paragraphs. They make the readers understand how two ideas are related or correspond to one another. They are also used to tell the reader about what’s going to happen next. There is a list of transition words that you must read and understand how to use which word. Often, students confuse with these words and conjunctions. Although they are quite similar to one another, their meaning differs.
As transition words combine two or relate paragraphs or sentences, conjunctions are used to connect, compare, add or contrast two clauses. If you are still confused, then remember transition words join sentences and not clauses in the sentence. Hence, both the conjunctions and the transitions differ from one another. There are many words that are common can be used as both conjunction and transition but their usage makes them different. If the words are joining two clauses, then they are a conjunction and if they are combining two sentences or paragraphs, then they are transition words. If you having trouble in grammar or using such words, then you can take Literature Assignment Help.
Types of Transition Words and Phrases
Here is a list of transition words and phrases:
1. Emphasis – The words used to give special importance or value to something are used under this section. These transition words are:
• Particularly/ In particular
• It should be noted
2. Addition – The words that are used to add more meaningful details about somethings are used under this section. They are:
• Apart from this
• Along with
• As well as
• Additionally or an additional or in addition to this
3. Contrast – To provide a difference between two things these words are used. Examples are:
• On the other hand
• In contrast to
• Differing from
4. Order – Words that are used to provide instruction or convey the arrangement of something or give an authoritative command to the reader, comes under this section. Examples are:
• At this time
• First/ Firstly
• Second/ Secondly
• Third/ Thirdly
• Above all
• Last but not the least
• First and foremost
Other than these, words can be used to show a conclusion like – to sum up, to conclude, in conclusion, etc., words that repeat information like – to repeat, in fact, in other words, to put it in another way, etc. All of these are transitional words and can be used depending on the requirement of the situation.
How to Use Transition Words Them Accurately?
Use these tips to use them accurately.
• Be aware of the words – In order to use the words accurately, you must know all the transition words first. Not knowing the words can create problem especially to the non-native speakers. For learning these words all you need to do is, search online examples, watch videos on YouTube, read grammar books, etc. Once you read them to test your knowledge. You can find online quizzes in abundance on the internet, take some grammar quizzes and check how far have you progressed.
• Read the concept and context properly – As there are many transition words, you need to be aware of which word to use and when to use it. For that, it is important to be aware of the relationships about different elements present in your content. Many people still make a lot of mistakes in using these words.
Remember if you are emphasizing something use words like especially, absolutely, note that, etc. or if you are specifying the difference between, then use words like unlike, whereas, on the other hand, etc. The only way to use them accurately is through practice. Hence, practice hard until you learn how to which word and when.
• Have clarity about the relationship and relation of different thoughts – If you have a better idea about the relation of your thoughts, you will not face difficulty in using the transition words. Before writing the content, structure it in your mind or roughly on a page. Make a flow of the content to make it more sensible, now that you know the flow and the structure uses the words accordingly. Don’t unnecessarily use them to make sure they are relevant and required to serve the purpose of making sense.
Keeping these things in the account will help in using these words properly. Practice hard and test your grammar and gradually you will learn it. If you have an issue in using these words, then you can avail English Assignment Help to clear your doubts. Read about their meaning, examples and usage to have a better idea about the transition words. Your constant efforts can help you win achieve what you want.