Significantly, proofreading is considered as the concluding step in the process of editing. Before you actually submit your assignments, it is necessary to polish the final files. The main aim of this step is to reduce the major mistakes and errors in the assignment to reach up to the standard of professionalism.
Proofreading an assignment is as important as any other element of academic writing. However, there are many students who often skip this important step.
Before You Proofread
On completion of the assignment, you must not hurry to proofread it. Instead, before that, you need to conduct an in-depth edit. By editing your assignment, you get a chance to find out the way your ideas are connected with one another further keeping up to the organization and purpose of the assignment.
If, while going through your assignment, you come across an argument that was not appropriate for the section in which it was written, you may reorganize the content matter. Also, you need to make sure that similar ideas are presented in the same section of the content. Thus, by putting in a little extra effort, your assignment gets structured.
By editing your assignment, you are able to find out areas that need to be improved.
When You Proofread
1. Read Aloud. This is an extensively used approach that is used to spot errors. Besides this, you will also get a chance to see if the sentence is logically correct or not.
2. Concentration is Important. If you are proofreading, make sure that you are away from all distractions and disturbances. Put your cell phone on ‘DO NOT DISTURB’ mode.
3. Check for Homonyms. Homonyms are actually the words that have the same spelling or pronunciation. But, the meaning of the words is different. Interchangeably using compliment and complement may turn out to be disastrous.
4. Take Care of Apostrophes. Most of you often mix and get confused between their and they're, its and it’s, etc. Doing this surely reduces the credibility of your assignment. So, take care of these things as you proofread your assignment.
5. Go Through Punctuation. It is good to concentrate on the words but, make sure that you are not forgetting the punctuation. See where the use of capitalized words, commas, periods is necessary.
6. Read it Backwards. You might not know that while you are reading, you become blind and skip your own mistakes. Thus, it is suggested to read the assignment backward. Doing backward reading, you go through every word and thus, you are able to come across many issues that need to be rectified.
7. Take Help from Your Friend. After completing all the above mentioned points, make it a point to consider a friend who will be proofreading the assignment for you. besides this, you may also take help from assignment writers Australia.
There are a number of strategies that can be adopted when you think of proofreading. One of the best approaches is setting aside your assignment for some time. So, when you come back to check your assignment, you will be able to see the assignment paper from a fresh perspective.
Every assignment paper has to be presented in a particular style such as IEEE Referencing Style or any other that has been instructed by your professor. Thus, to get the assignment checked in terms of the referencing style, it is good to get it reviewed by the ones who are experts in the field.
All these points are going to help you to proofread and come out with a flawless assignment.